Argan oil, baobab fruit, no wait organic, no wait coconut oil, no wait AHA, no wait…didn’t Dr. Oz say Vitamin C?
What’s a brand owner to do? How does a small or growing skincare brand owner keep up with the trends?
The answer is you don’t. Shocking I know.
As a start up in the HBA category (Health and Beauty: skincare, makeup, and personal care categories), keeping up with changes can be daunting and expensive. So what do you to? Here is a killer strategy that I recommend:
1. Establish your core products first. They should include some solid foundational products. In skin care make sure that includes a moisturizers, cleanser, eye product, and treatment serum for your core products.
2. Master the basics before you add on to your line. Don’t get distracted with every recommendation from Dr. Oz, super market magazines or even Oprah. Unless, you are an established brand with some good sales under your belt and capital to create another line master the basics before you move on. If you are an existing line, then feel free to add on. If you are a start-up, my advice is to crawl, walk and then run in product development.
3. If you do decide to develop a new trend, then get on it fast so that you can capitalize on some of the publicity. I would recommend watching Dr. Oz, reading Oprah and all of the magazines in the grocery stores.
What are the current new trends in skincare?
1. Vitamin C serums
2. AHA (Hyaluronic acid) products
3. BB creams – according to NPD sales are up 200% in 2012
4. Firming products – especially neck and decollete area (or turkey neck)
5. Products to help with Sun damage and dark spots.
6. Devices such as microdermabrasion kits.
Leave me a comment and let me know if this was helpful to you!